- thomas mackintosh
- BBC news
Another unidentified air device. This time over Canada.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed that another unidentified object had been shot down over North American airspace.
Trudeau explained that it had “violated Canadian airspace” and had done so shot down over Yukonin northwestern Canada.
Both Canadian and American planes raced to track down the object Trudeau said used to be shocked by an American F-22.
Trudeau says he gave the order and discussed it with his American counterpart, Joe Biden.
“Canadian Forces will now recover and analyze the remains of the object,” he wrote on Twitter.
A joint task
The Canadian prime minister also thanked the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), which previously said it had been monitoring “a high-altitude airborne object” flying over northern Canada. NORAD conducts air defense for the US and Canada.
The White House said the object had been tracked and tracked “for the past 24 hours.”
“Out of an abundance of caution and on the recommendation of their military, President Biden and Prime Minister Trudeau have authorized the dismantling,” he said in a statement.
“Leaders discussed the importance of recovering the object to determine more details about its purpose or origin.”
The United States Department of Defense, in turn, confirmed that two F-22 aircraft had taken off from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Anchorage, Alaska, and that the object had been shot down by an AIM 9X missile.
Pentagon press secretary Brigadier General Pat Ryder said that while the recovery operations will be conducted by Canadian authorities, the FBI will “work closely” with Canadian police.
It’s not clear what the purpose is, but Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schummer said on Sunday it presumably is It was a different balloon, although he did not specify whether it came from China.
Its appearance over North America comes just days after two balloons linking the US to Beijing were also shot down.
Two more balloons in the last month
On Friday, another object was shot down over Alaska by order of US President Biden.
In a brief statement, the military said U.S. forces, including the Alaska National Guard, are still conducting search and recovery activities for Friday’s object in the sea ice.
He said he had no further details about the object’s capabilities, purpose or origin, but confirmed that the FBI is assisting with the recovery near the Alaskan town of Deadhorse.
“Arctic weather conditions, including wind chill, snow and limited daylight, play a role in this operation and personnel will adapt recovery operations to maintain safety,” it added, and the rescue operation will continue as long as weather permits.
The latest incident comes a week after the US military destroyed a Chinese balloon off the coast of South Carolina.
China has denied that the balloon, which first entered US airspace on Jan. 28, was used for espionage purposes, saying it was a lost weather device.
However, the United States said that the whole world it is part of a fleet of surveillance balloons that has flown across five continents.
The balloon incident strained relations between the United States and China, with Secretary of State Antony Blinken canceling a planned trip to Beijing.
Chinese officials accused the United States of “political manipulation and exaggeration” on Friday.
In an interview on Thursday, President Biden defended his dealings with the Chinese world, saying it was not a “major intrusion.”
Remember that you can receive notifications from BBC Mundo. Download the new version of our app and activate it so you don’t miss our best content.