Today, September 13, International Programmer’s Day is celebrated and we present five of the most influential programmers in history.
In today’s world we can say that the profession of programming is widespread and it is no longer strange that it goes way beyond repairing a computer as it used to be. The automation of society is advancing rapidly and is now in all civilized parts of the world, and It affects almost all spheres of our lives.
In addition, the works of our programmers have helped us all a lot. It is for all this that this activity has developed very widely, is becoming more and more massive, and cooperating with the progress of modern society.
Well, today, September 13, is the Programmer’s Day being celebrated, what if you realize, it is the 256th day of the year. On this day we thank all those programmers who make our lives a little easier.
It is also known as the International Programmers Day and your party is based on binary code and it is that all programmers know how special this song is. This is two raised to the power of eight, that is, the number of characters that can fit in one byte of computer memory. Keep in mind that it could also fall on September 12.
This all goes back to 2002, when Russian programmers Valentin Balt and Michael Cherviakov of Parallel Technologies gathered workers and collected signatures to urge the Russian government to declare Programmers’ Day.
Anyway, it was only in 2009 that the Russian Media Ministry recognized this day as an official holiday.
Programmer’s Day 2022: Meaning
Programmer’s Day honors programmers around the world. And it is that, there is hardly anyone who does not take advantage of the services of this one. Whether in transport or medicine, economics or education, programming is essential for the proper functioning of all services.
Also, almost all large companies need programmers to maintain their IT infrastructure. Telecommunications, security, assembly processes or even innovation come out of their hands.
Basically, a computer programmer uses computer languages to create various programs. From simple software to web design and complex programs such as game creation, the use of programming is widespread in today’s world.
The 5 Most Influential Programmers of All Time
Programming is certainly a great skill. For many it is art and for others it is the best way to relieve stress. Some create solutions to the most complex problems out there and others develop applications so we can all have fun.
No matter how you program, it is always useful. That’s why we leave you with 5 of the programmers (although there are many more), whose developments have contributed greatly to our society.
1. Dennis Ritchie: was an American computer scientist who learned the language of C programming with a friend. He is credited with shaping and pioneering the digital age. Today, C programming is used in various software applications, embedded system development, operating systems and has influenced most modern programming languages.
Richie also created the UNIX operating system. In 1999, he received the National Medal of Technology from President Clinton for his work.
2. Tim Berners-Lee: He is a British computer scientist, best known as the inventor of the world wide web. He is also credited with developing the first successful communication between a Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) client and server over the Internet in 1989.
Berners-Lee has received many awards and honors, including the knighthood of Queen Elizabeth II in the 2004 New Year Honours. “for his services to global Internet development.”
3. Linus Torvalds: He is a Finnish-American software engineer who the creator and, historically, the main developer of the Linux kernel. He also created Git in 2005 for Linux kernel development (with other developers).
4. Bjarne Stroustrup: Danish computer scientist credited with creating and developing development of the widely used and highly successful programming language C++. He also let C++ evolve from scratch, wrote the first definitions, produced the first implementation, formulated the design criteria…etc.
5. James Gosling is a Canadian computer scientist widely known for creating the widely used and successful Java programming language in 1994, as well as the original virtual machine and compiler.
Gosling has also made significant contributions to several other software systems, such as NeWS and Gosling Emacs. For his outstanding achievements, Gosling was elected a Foreign Associate Member of the United States National Academy of Engineering.